10/5/09

PHRASAL VERBS Definition


What are phrasal verbs?






A phrasal verb is a verb plus a preposition or adverb which creates a meaning different from the original verb.



Example:


I ran into my teacher at the movies last night. run + into = meet
He ran away when he was 15. run + away = leave home


* Some phrasal verbs are intransitive. An intransitive verb cannot be followed by an object.

Example:
He suddenly showed up. "show up" cannot take an object






* Some phrasal verbs are transitive. A transitive verb can be followed by an object.

Example:
I made up the story. "story" is the object of "make up"




*Some transitive phrasal verbs are separable.



The object is placed between the verb and the preposition.
Example:
I talked my mother into letting me borrow the car.
She looked the phone number up.


*Some transitive phrasal verbs are inseparable. The object is placed after the preposition.

Example:
I ran into an old friend yesterday.
They are looking into the problem.


* Some transitive phrasal verbs can take an object in both places. Example:


I looked the number up in the phone book.
I looked up the number in the phone book.


* Be Careful! Although many phrasal verbs can take an object in both places, you must put the object between the verb and the preposition if the object is a pronoun.

Example:
I looked the number up in the phone book.
I looked up the number in the phone book.
I looked it up in the phone book. correct
I looked up it in the phone book. incorrect

1 comentario: