17/4/09

LANGUAGE FUNCTIONS: REQUESTS


making and responding to requests


we use: can, could,will, would, would you mind + ing to make polite requests.

Making requests
Responding to requests


Can you open the door please?
Yes, of course./Of course./Yes, certainly./Certainly./Sure

Could you open the door please?

Will you open the door please?

Would you open the door please?

Would you mind opening the door?
No, I’d be happy to.

No, certainly not.

Can is informal and can be used with someone we know. For example a friend.

Friend 1:Can you open the window please?

Friend2: Sure.

Brother: Can you give me some water please?

sister: of course.

Could is formal and informal. We can use it with someone we know or someone we don't know.

Customer: Could you bring me some salt please?

Waiter: Yes, certainly.

Student: Could you please repeat?

Teacher: Yes, of course.

Will and Would are formal.

Manager: Would you fill in this form?

Employee: Certainly.

Would you mind + verb + ing is formal:

Secretary: Would you mind calling back later?

Patient: No, certainly not.


EXERCISES:

Find the question:

Sanaa:........................................................?

Houria: Sure. I'll close the window.

Manager: ....................................................?

secretary: No, I'd be happy to write the report.

Mother: ......................................................?

Daughter: Yes, of course. I'll clean the dishes mum.

3 comentarios:

  1. Rar, Do I have to leave here more compliments or my homeworks?.
    Wild you be kind enough to check my exercise?.
    a/ Rar, will you close the window please?.
    b/ Nancy, Will you clean the dishes please?.
    c/ Would you mind writting this report for me please?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. your answers are correct, thank you for doing the activity and it's a pleasure to check your answers, you're in the good way.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi there! I love activities like this which put real situations into practice. Thanks:)

    ResponderEliminar